Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/content/17/7261617/html/plugins/content/facebooklikeandshare/facebooklikeandshare.php on line 356

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/content/17/7261617/html/plugins/content/facebooklikeandshare/facebooklikeandshare.php on line 362
Your Guide to Malta and Gozo - Mdina's Chapels

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/content/17/7261617/html/plugins/content/facebooklikeandshare/facebooklikeandshare.php on line 418

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/content/17/7261617/html/templates/reachmalta/functions.php on line 614

Chapel of St. Peter in Chains

Magazines Street, Mdina

 

The construction of this chapel commenced soon after Monsignor Pietro Dusina, the Papal envoy visited the Diocese of Malta in 1575, replacing an older, dilapidated chapel that stood on this site. To Bishop Caligares's dismay, the construction of this chapel – with its simple, single cell design took more than thirty years to complete. By the mid-twentieth century, St. Peter in Chains was a pitiful sight . It was restored after 1956 and donned a new altarpiece by Mario Caffaro Rore, showing The Liberation of St. Peter. This new lease of life was short-lived; although Caffaro Rore's painting is still there, together with others from the 17th Century, this chapel has once again fallen into disuse.

  

 

  


Chapel of St. Nicholas

St Nicholas Street, Mdina

The building of this chapel was commissioned by Bartolomeo Vella in 1685, replacing a much older temple. It was perhaps Lorenzo Gafa' who designed its Greek Cross plan and majestic dome. Despite its architectural merits the chapel has sadly been neglected and is in a state of disrepair.

 

 


Chapel of ST. Agatha - MdinaChapel of St. Agatha

Piazzetta Maria Adeodata Pisani, Mdina

This chapel was built by Francesco Gatto and his wife Paola Castelli in 1410. It endured severe damage in the earthquake of 1693 and was rebuilt on a plan by Lorenzo Gafa'. It was commissioned by Archbishop Davide Cocco Palmieri on 26th June 1695. The oval altarpiece is by Giuseppe d'Arena, painted sometime between 1694 and 1714 and shows the Martyrdom of St. Agatha, with her breasts cut off.